Providing the skills and confidence needed for fire emergencie
Prepare your staff
The Get Ready Fire Safety Course will prepare staff in a healthcare setting for a Code Red/Fire event in accordance with the Ontario Fire Marshal and the Ontario Fire Code.
To ensure all staff is confident and competent in their skills, and the hospital meets regulatory compliance, this annual certified course includes 2 parts:
- Online Fire Safety Awareness training – approximately 60 minutes
- In-house Fire Safety Practical training – approximately 60 minutes
Part 1: Online Fire Safety Awareness Training
- Understanding the mechanics of fire and how fire spreads
- Types of fire extinguishers
- Fire Alarm systems
- Fire Alarm stage levels
- Roles and responsibilities of staff and supervisors regarding Fire Safety
- Room of Origin and Fire Zones evacuations
- Horizontal and vertical evacuations
Part 2: In-House Fire Safety Practical Training
The in-house practical training provides staff with skills that cannot be achieved online. Facilitated by the Get Ready Team, staff will learn how to activate and use fire safety equipment, and to safely lift and move proxy patients in a controlled environment. Safe social distancing will be implemented during this training to ensure the health and safety of all participants.
Learning objectives include:
- Activating Fire Pull Stations
- Fire extinguisher use
- Patient lifts and carries
Staff will also have an opportunity to participate in a “talk-through” mock Code Red scenario (silent drill).